The first season of Awkward Black Girl aired on YouTube February 3, 2011, and finished on January 13, 2012. It contains a total of 12 episodes. It follows the life of J, the Awkward Black Girl, who finds herself in constantly awkward scenarios at her place of work, Gutbusters, along with dealing with her unruly boss and coworks, but with the help of her best friend Cece.
The episodes are released on a monthly basis, the first five on a Thursday, the sixth on a Friday, the seventh, eighth, and ninth on a Wednesday, the tenth on a Monday, and the eleventh and twelfth on a Thursday.
The first season of the series was received well by fans after the series went viral through word of mouth, blog posts, social media, and media coverage.
The first season of Awkward Black Girl contained 5 actors in lead roles.
- Issa Rae as J , the self-described 'awkward and black' passive-aggressive main character.
- Sujata Day as CeCe, J's best friend who offers J advice that usually leads her best friend into trouble
- Madison T. Shockley III as Fred, J's initial love interest and coworker.
- Lyman Johnson as White Jay, another love interest of J, with a personality as awkward as her own.
- Tracy Oliver as Nina, the primary antagonist that starts up trouble for, and mocks J.
The first season of Awkward Black Girl contained 6 actors in recurring roles.
- Hanna as Boss Lady, J's superior who's unaware of her racial insensitivity.
- Andrew Allan James as A, the nerdy coworker of J, introduced as the "A"wkward mistake J made after she had a drunken one night stand with him.
- Kiki Harris as Patty, known as "Germy Patty" because she's always sick. Patty continues to appear at the office and company social events despite being previously fired by Boss Lady.
- Tristen Winger as Darius, known as "Baby Voice Darius". He's inaudbile to everyone else except for his long-time friend, Fred.
- Leah A. Williams as Dolores, the born again Christian that changes her name to "Sister Mary".
- Fahad Saud as Amir, good friend of Nina who makes racially insensitive jokes at the expense of his co-workers.
- Mike Danger as D, J's ex-boyfriend.